Question:
Why did SONY pull out of the PDA market? Was it because of fierce competition, no profits, or something else?
2006-01-09 18:47:03 UTC
From an asthetic/cosmetic standpoint, the SONY Clie PDAs really stood out from the rest. It looked nicer and very sleek than other competitors. I've always wondered what was the reason SONY pulled out of the market?

If you've ever owned a SONY Clie PDA before, please comment on your experience.

Looking forward to hearing your responses.
Two answers:
eyesonlyus
2006-01-10 06:06:32 UTC
Three letter: PSP.

The other thing was a decline of the PDA market due to low sales and technological convergence (combining technology). While the Clie was a great PDA, PalmOS is not a great operating system. Sure it can do the basics such as time management, but PocketPC, Blackberry, and Java Enabled Mobile devices have the ability to do more than one program and/or faster than PalmOS.

Of course, I was hoping that Sharp would have exported their Linux powered PDAs to the US, but a few people in Redmond doctored some stats by saying that no one here would be interested.

Probably the best thing to do is learn Java and develop your own programs for a Motorola Java Enabled phone. At least that's what I have plans on doing. :/
the_observer
2006-01-17 15:53:21 UTC
Sony claimed it was the declining sales of PDA's, but their marketing strategy was rather screwy. They kept introducing new models every 6 months, were WAY too expensive. Incidentally, Sony is still selling PDA's in Japan. Sony has traditionally been on the cutting edge in terms of technology, but very poor in executing reasonable Marketing plans, they often end up behind other companies in terms of sales.

BTW, with regards to the Palm OS, my TX works great for me. Don't listen to people who denigrate Palm. Palm is the tortoise in the race between tech companies. They may look like their behind everybody else in line, but never underestimate them. Their stuff always turns out better than anyone ever gives them credit for.