Question:
I am shopping for a PDA. Should I buy a windows or palm based system.?
JACK
2006-01-09 20:38:40 UTC
I am shopping for a PDA. Should I buy a windows or palm based system.?
Seven answers:
swbiblio
2006-01-17 19:10:41 UTC
I've had both, and I desperately miss my Palm. I could download free applications that did everything I needed and then some. I could use standard batteries and they lasted for weeks. Navigation was easy and intuitive. The calendar and tasks did what they were supposed to.

My new iPaq requires resets almost daily. The calendar and tasks don't integrate, so I can't assign a time to a task, only a day. There is no way of hiding personal stuff. Snoozing alarms gives you limited time options. I've had it only six months, but it's already wiped itself out once. I fight with it constantly. It's supposed to save me time, not waste my time.

Here's the problem, though. BOTH Palm and Windows are trying to cram as much stuff onto these things as they can, and both operating systems are becoming more unstable.

Entry level, I'd recommend a basic Palm, maybe even something from eBay. I loved my Handsprings, or at $100, a new Palm Z22 might be a good first step.
MortgageGuy
2006-01-09 21:12:33 UTC
I have both Palm and Windows based PDA. Windows based one works better for me because the business software I want are mostly for Windows system only.
asphyxiatedartist
2006-01-09 20:41:34 UTC
it depends on the requirements you need in a pda. Windows-based systems will be a little more powerful with more capabilities, but palm systems will have much more readily available add-ons and help, and will also be less expensive. for basic palm usage, I would suggest a palm system. if you need a high-capacity system, go with windows.
2006-01-11 07:34:55 UTC
Palm is sooo dead, get a pocket pc. Even the God of Palm, the Treo, switched over to the Microsoft o/s. Check this link for more info:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/palm/default.mspx
eyesonlyus
2006-01-10 06:08:55 UTC
As much as I dislike using Microsoft, PocketPC would be the way to go. However, if you are interested in creating programs for a portable device, Palm, Blackberry, or Java enabled device is the way to go.
forceuser2004
2006-01-09 20:40:32 UTC
I suggest windows as it should be easier to link with common Windows apps and such. Especially if you plan to use it a lot in conjunction with your PC.
DSDSDFireFoxProblem2359
2006-01-10 15:42:59 UTC
Well it depends on your tastes.

Palm, has more games and will become obsolete

Windows is new, and what i have.

Palm and windows make a good phone.