Question:
What is the point of pda's that cant make phone calls?
joeplayer91
2006-01-10 14:07:36 UTC
What is the point of pda's that cant make phone calls?
Five answers:
Bill
2006-01-10 14:27:07 UTC
To keep addresses and appointments.
mll1013
2006-01-13 16:43:33 UTC
I've used my PDA for years, and wouldn't know what to do without it. I use it for:

1) Calendar (with alarm to remind me of appointments)

2) Contacts

o my entire corporate phone book

o family

o friends

o business associates

o medical and other professionals

3) Task list (prioritized and dated, so I know what are the most important things I have to do, or deadlines that need to be met urgently

4) Clock (Keeps multiple time zones, so I know what time it is anywhere)

5) Alarm Clock, (with four pre-programmed alarms, so not matter what day of the week, I wake up on time, without having to change the alarm all the time)

6) Scientific Calculator

7) Expense Tracker

8) Map Program (so when I'm driving in the car, I can quickly get directions without having printed them out ahead of time from the internet)

9) eBooks (I read a lot, so I like to have an eBook that I can read whenever I have downtime, like waiting at the Dr.'s office)

10) Stopwatch (I use this for exercising, reading, anything where I have a set amount of time for a task)

11) Notes and memos (to keep track of important data)

And this mearly scratches the surface for you can do with a PDA!
2006-01-11 07:31:15 UTC
I own a Dell Axim X50, and believe, the benefits of having one is great. Who cares if it can make phone calls? If I want to make calls, I connect via Wi-Fi someplace, then use Skype for making my calls. Works the same as a cell phone and I don't have to pay for my calls or data usage. Drawback is that it only works in Wi-Fi areas.

It keeps me completely organized at work, I get to listen to my MP3's, install cool software, play games, and just all-round have fun.

If you have a Smartphone/PDA, then there is also the problem of what if the cell phone part doesn't work or breaks down??? You loose your PDA when it's taken in for repair!!! I'd hate that.

Same thing - what if your pda decides to stop working or not boot up? You loose your cell phone!!

I think it's just better to have them seperated, because having them together has it's benefits, but some of the cons out weigh the pros.
MattH
2006-01-11 15:21:33 UTC
This type of PDA is primarily used to keep a date book, addresses, and a to-do list. It can also be used as a web browser, mp3 player, and can do other things. Add-on software is available also.
Interested in Things
2006-01-10 21:26:38 UTC
Well, that is true, but they can do more then that.

PDA's are kind of like mini computers. They have their own operating systems and a lot of software is made for them.

You can download lots of games, calender software, fax software, internet browsers; there are many types of software, just like a regular computer.

Many people also find it useful to have their address book, calendar, email and internet in one device.

So see some software you can get, look at:

palmgear.com for Palm OS phones (like the Treo)

pocketgear.com for Windows Mobile phones

Hope this helps a bit!